Table of Contents
A PhD may give you more education and skills in your field, but it doesn’t necessarily make you the best candidate for a job. In this article, we’ll go over ten reasons why a DBA might be better than a PhD when it comes to careers in business management.
A DBA is the better choice if you’re looking for a terminal degree in business management that will prepare you for the real world.
Top 10 reasons why you should go for DBA over PhD
- Less cost – A DBA program is shorter and less expensive than a PhD program.
- Lower duration – A DBA can be completed in as little as two years, while a PhD can take four or more years.
- Focus – DBA programs are designed to prepare students for careers in business, while PhD programs focus on research and academia.
- Practical Skills – DBAs learn practical skills that can be immediately applied in the workplace, while PhDs learn theoretical concepts that may not have direct applications.
- Better Career prospects – Many employers prefer to hire candidates with a DBA over those with a PhD, as they perceive DBAs to be more well-rounded and better prepared for managerial positions.
- Business focussed – The curriculum of a DBA program is typically more focused on business-related topics than a PhD program.
- Business Specializations – DBA programs often allow students to specialize in a particular area of interest, such as marketing or finance, while PhD programs tend to be broader.
- Apply your skills via the capstone project – The capstone project required for most DBA programs provides students with an opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills in a real-world setting. In contrast, the dissertation needed for most PhD programs is mainly academic.
- Better Salary – Many DBA graduates go on to successful careers in business, while many PhD graduates end up working in academia or research positions. Most DBAs make a much more successful career than a PhD as the salary is a notch higher post completing a DBA.
- Career Progression – A DBA degree can open doors to many exciting and rewarding career opportunities in business,
Top reasons why you should go for a PhD over DBA
There are some reasons why a PhD in business management may be better than a DBA for a few aspirants. Here are the top 6 reasons:
- A PhD will prepare you for a career in academia or research, whereas a DBA may not.
- A PhD will make you more attractive to potential colleges or universities if you want to make your career in teaching.
- A PhD will allow you to work with renowned scholars and researchers in your field.
- A PhD will provide comprehensive training in research methods and techniques.
- A PhD will allow you to develop your research plan and contribute to advancing knowledge in your field.
- A PhD will enable you to pursue an academic or research career anywhere in the world.
Which degree is better for Business Management?
There are many reasons why a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is better than a PhD in Business Management.
First, a DBA provides more practical and applied training than a PhD. A DBA program focuses on research and teaching students how to apply their knowledge to real-world problems. In contrast, a PhD program is more theoretical and focused on academic research.
Second, a DBA takes less time to complete than a PhD. On average, it takes about 3-4 years to earn a DBA, while it can take up to 7 years to earn a PhD. Again, this is because a DBA requires less coursework and fewer research hours than a PhD.
Third, the job market for DBAs is better than that for PhDs in Business Management. This is because employers seek candidates with practical experience and applied knowledge. Therefore, holding a DBA will make you more attractive to potential employers than having a PhD in Business Management.
Fourth, DBAs earn higher salaries than those with PhDs in Business Management. According to PayScale.com, the median salary for DBAs is $106,000 per year, while the median salary for those with PhDs in Business Management is $85,000 per year.
Many different doctoral degrees are available, and understanding their differences cannot be easy. A PhD is typically a research-focused degree, while a DBA is focused on applying research to real-world business problems. A Doctor of Management is somewhere in between, focusing on research and practical application. No matter which type of doctoral degree you choose, you’ll be sure to receive an advanced education that will prepare you for a successful career in your chosen field.
For business professionals, however, we recommend a DBA or DM over a PhD.
It is the most effective way to continue scaling the corporate ladder without sacrificing continuity in career or time.
- Made for working professionals: you will get your DBA within three years without having to leave your job and spend five years getting a doctorate on campus. A Doctor of Management will be even faster to acquire.
- Outcome-driven: you can focus on any of our specializations and build your expertise where it will make the highest impact on you
- Highly engaging and intellectually stimulating: You will learn from excellent professors and have 1:1 support on your thesis. You will receive lectures and experience from American professionals.
- Enormous ROI: thanks to Gururo’s approach to democratizing higher education, you pay only a fraction of an old-school doctorate and reap the rewards nonetheless
- Worldwide network: You will join a classroom with students worldwide and share multicultural experiences. You will be able to create forever friendships, which will also help you reap benefits.
- American Dream: After completing IAU online degree, you have the opportunity to come to the USA on an F1 visa to study in Los Angeles. Graduate degrees from IAU allow for faster processing for lawful permanent residence.