When it comes to project management certifications, the debate often centers around PMP Vs PRINCE2. Both are globally recognized, have their strengths, and cater to slightly different audiences. But which one should you choose? Let’s dive deep into the comparisons and help you make an informed decision.
Both PMP (Project Management Professional) and PRINCE2 (Projects in Controlled Environments) are esteemed certifications in the field of project management. They stem from different professional bodies, PMP from PMI (Project Management Institute) and PRINCE2 from AXELOS
PMBOK vs PRINCE2: The Methodologies Explained
PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge): It’s a guide rather than a methodology, detailing best practices and processes for project management. It is the basis for the PMP certification.
PRINCE2: A process-driven methodology that provides a detailed, step-by-step guide for delivering successful projects.
Difference Between PMP and PRINCE2
Here’s the detailed differences between PRINCE2 and PMP
|Basis of Comparison||PRINCE2||PMP|
|Origin Place||United Kingdom||The United States of America|
|Owner||Axelos, UK||Project Management Institute (PMI), USA|
|Purpose in Project Mgmt.||Answers the What/When/Who questions||Answers the How? Questions|
|Exam Guidelines||–||PMBOK Guide’s 6th edition, standard & practices|
|Frameworks||Prescriptive based on best practices||Descriptive based on knowledge areas|
|Organization||Integrated set of themes, processes & principles||Ten knowledge areas|
|Project Roles||Well-defined project roles||Emphasizes the role of a project manager|
|Location Popularity||UK, Australia, Europe||USA, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, parts of Asia|
|Exam Difficulty||Easier (Foundation level by passing the exam)||More complex (Requires specific hours & degrees)|
|Validity of Certifications||Foundation: No expiration, Practitioner: 3 years||3 years|
|Registration Process||Via ATO or PeopleCert||Via PMI website|
|Salary Prospects||Higher with certification||Higher, average $112,000 p.a. in U.S.|
Which Certification is Better: PMP or PRINCE2?
- Job Location: If you’re aiming for a role in the US, PMP might be more sought after, while in the UK or Australia, PRINCE2 could be preferred.
- Industry: In IT environments, PRINCE2 often has a stronger foothold, while sectors like construction might lean towards PMP.
- Career Goals: If you want a comprehensive understanding of project management, consider PMP. For a methodology that you can directly apply, PRINCE2 might be better.
PRINCE2 vs PMP Salary
Studies suggest that certified professionals earn more than their non-certified peers. However, salaries vary based on location, experience, and other factors. Both PMP and PRINCE2 can significantly boost your earning potential.
|Country||PMP Average Salary||PRINCE2 Average Salary|
|UAE (AED)||AED 295,000||AED 310,000|
|South Africa (ZAR)||R860,000||R930,000|
Common Questions Answered
- Is PRINCE2 better than PMP? This is subjective and depends on individual career goals and job requirements. Both have their merits.
- Which is easier, PMP or PRINCE2? The difficulty is subjective. PMP requires a commitment to understanding a wide range of topics, while PRINCE2 requires a grasp of a detailed methodology.
- PMP or PRINCE2, which is best for Agile? Both can be combined with Agile principles, but neither is inherently Agile. If Agile is a priority, consider pursuing certifications like PMI-ACP or Scrum Master.
Conclusion : PMP Vs PRINCE2
The debate over “PMP vs. PRINCE2” or even extending it to “PMP vs. PRINCE2 vs Scrum” isn’t about finding a one-size-fits-all answer. It’s about identifying what suits your career aspirations, the industry you’re in, and where you plan to work. Whichever you choose, the pursuit of knowledge is commendable, and both certifications offer valuable insights into the world of project management.