Good habits that will get you promoted over everyone else
Follow the below-listed pointers, and you will get promoted yearly, irrespective of organization and years of experience.
- Develop leadership skills. Leaders are promoted; followers are not.
- Solve annoying problems. Find challenges that frustrate your team and eliminate them.
- Bring your best consistently. No excuses.
- Ignore everyone else. You’ll waste time and energy comparing yourself to your peers. The only competition is with your past self.
- Bring a positive attitude daily. Nobody wants to work with a jerk, so treat others respectfully and kindly.
- Be authentically you. Don’t try to mirror others; you’ll blend in and look like everyone else.
- Build meaningful relationships with a heart of giving and selflessness. Don’t get taken advantage of, but give more than you take.
- Innovate. Tech is helpful, but you can also innovate through simplifying processes, improving customer experiences, etc.
- Don’t wait to be told what to do. Know your job, get it done, and do it exceptionally well.
- Be adaptable. “That’s not my job” should never come out of your mouth.
- Don’t envy those ahead of you. Learn from them. Ask for a mentorship. The right mentor can change your life.
- Remove negative, complaining peers from your circle. Negativity is cancer that spreads and destroys. Avoid it at all costs.
- Work on your interview skills. You can’t get promoted if you suck at interviews.
- Create your legacy moments. Promotions come from bursts of extraordinary effort and results. So 1-2 times a year, find ways to blow everyone away. This is how you achieve LEGEND status. Remember, legends are not born. They are built.
- Ask for what you want. You might be surprised at how well this works. Want a promotion? Ask for it. You’ve just planted the seed even if you don’t get the immediate “yes”.